Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Abridged

WIP - Abridged

Have been working on this for a while now so I figured seeing as I've been plugging away for a while I'd start a WIP thread to get some feedback. The map is intended as a CTF end-to-end style map. It's based around a central bridge and at each end is a small collection of multi-levelled housing.

The style is intended as more of a WW2 or modern urban warfare environment rather than anything particularly futuristic or sci-fi. I'm using 100% own meshes and textures (except for water & sky) and hopefully, once the map is complete, I'll use it for the basis of a larger mod using my own weapons, characters and HUD.

But for now this is my map so far.

This is the main bridge. It's a bit confusing at the moment because my water plane is huge so that the texture looks the right size. Most of it will eventually be hidden underground.

As you can see from the above image, the stairs are in fact huuge. Scale has been one of my big issues with the editor (as evidenced by my entry into the Old School map comp) and I'm glad to say it's one I'm overcoming as we'll see in one of the buildings where I'm gradually lowering ceilings and thinning walls to make them just right.

These are a couple of meshes I've made for the bridge. The texturing is less than desirable and I'm not crazy about them so for now these will be placeholders while I make something a bit better. Part of the problem was that I was still getting to grips with setting up materials and the original diffuse maps were a bit rushed.

These are the buildings at the end of the bridge. Eventually, once completed, these will be copied to the other end of the bridge with minor changes. I intend for the flag to be placed in the courtyard for the sake of symmetry but to be honest I'm aware that the stairs may mean the houses can be completely in the heat of battle.

This is inside one of the buildings. I'm still working to tweak the structure and the scale but this one is working out really well. I'm also happy with the custom textures I've made so far as I think they go well together. Next step is to get some door and windowframe meshes in place.

As always, criticisms and observations are welcome. Would love to get some feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so far so good
    once you add static meshes and textures shoud look 10 times better
    but i like it so far

Yeah I like it as well, keep up the good work.
    Chris Cook - Games Design BA(Hon)
    www.piranhi.com

Just another quick update. I've been doing some serious re-modelling on the structure to make it really look right when playing. The walls are all now much thinner and the doors and windows have been resized so that they don't appear huge when playing. The ceiling level has also now been brought to a realistic height. That alone has taken quite a while to get done throughout the whole house.

I've also been working on a bit of texturing, modelling a few meshes but most importantly trying to get the lighting working. Originally this was a daytime map but now I've decided to make it around dusk, to make the lighting a bit more interesting. There's work to be done on the actual skylight, if I even decided to go back to it. It seems to bleach out all shadow and bleed through all bsp which is quite odd. I think there's some settings to be tweaked there.

For now, this is a screen of that front room as it stands now.
    Last edited by Onyx Elite UK; 07-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.

One thing I notice is that it is a lot of BSP, but I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. BSP in my own opinion is just a quick and dirty way to get a level built. SMs add a lot of detail to a level, and my thought would be for you to eventually change a lot of those walls over to wall panels and floor panels, so that way you can gain that sense of detail found within SMs.

Yeah I have to agree, static meshes are the way forward both cosmetically and technically. There's one lad on my course who's started work on a map and used over 2000 pieces of BSP so far. He's modelling everything using it, I think he's mad and the map looks like Unreal2k4.
    www.piranhi.com

Yeah I've seen maps that are made of too much BSP and it doesn't look good. There's still a lot of meshes to go in the map. So far this is just mostly underlying structure. Is it really worth using meshes do do things like walls tho?

I'm interested in the answer to that too, I've done meshes as decoration on walls and sometimes floors but never actually built something like a room completely out of static mesh walls/floor/ceiling.
    I think the architecture looks pretty good though I wonder how it will play. By the look of it the only way across is via the bridge, which would create one hell of a bottleneck. If that's what you're looking for thats fine, but it seems like it would be a field day for anyone with a long range weapon and frustrating for anyone trying to cross.

The one thing i would suggest is that you add another route to get to each side. If there is only one long bridge that everyone has to use in order to cap a flag, it limits the tactical elements of the map, and forces all action into that area, reducing the replay value of the map. There should at least be 1 (preferably 2) more routes that would be longer but provide more cover/options for players who are competing on the map. This is one of the most underestimated parts of level design, and something that should be taken into account from the beginning...

The architecture looks really good for a start, and if you address the singular bottleneck issue it will have the potential to be a great map to play on.

hope this helps, and good luck!
    I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.

If you dissect one of the maps in GoW you'll find a mixture. The buildings closest to the player are 99% of the time Static meshes, just because the amount of detail on them is a lot more then a flat wall with a normal map can produce. If done right, because of instancing and occlusion, they can look better and still be faster at the same time.

Walls which the player can't get close to, are outside the players route or are just not that important are usually BSP. Saying this though, I was quite surprised how much BSP was used in GoW, a lot more then I thought.
    www.piranhi.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast