Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles in UT3

Vehicles in UT3

Sorry if this is a noob question but I just started trying to use UT3. Does anyone know of a way to use vehicles in UT3 without having factories? Every time I place a vehicle as an actor I find that ingame I can walk right through it and its all black

It's black because it needs to be lit up on the dynamic lighting channel. You can walk through it because it has no collision.

I'm not sure if you can use a static mesh as a vehicle, I think they have to be create by a factory if you want to drive in them. I'm not 100% sure on that though
    Chris Cook - Games Design BA(Hon)
    www.piranhi.com

@ piranhi thanks and I have gotten it to have collision and texture, but I still cannot drive it. I just want to use the vehicle without using a factory.

@ bleda_meone my question was not how do I add a vehicle, it was is it possible to do without factories. I think there has got to be a way, like in UT2K4 I added an actor called VS_OVERRIDE to my maps to enable this.

Stating why I wish to do this, I really do not want to learn scripting and instead I wanted to replace an existing vehicle with my mesh but maintain the existing vehicles animations and properties, ( I placed all of the Scorpions bone names onto my vehicle so the animation should work ). Does anybody have any experience with this? Maybe through Kismet? ( as in assigning the static mesh through kismet to a newly created factory vehicle)
    Last edited by rprochsk; 06-29-2009 at 12:48 PM.

You say it's not about scripting, but what you're wanting to do is centered around scripting. If it were me, i would create a mutator that did it all for me. Just like I would create a SuperRocketLauncher.uc to replace all of the RocketLauncher actors withing a level. To replace every actor, you will have to iterate through them, and the only way I see doing that is a ForEach or For loop.

hmmm, ok I really suck at scripting so that is why I was wanting to find a way around doing so. In UT2K4 I had working vehicles without any knowledge of UTscript, and I was hoping to do that with UT3. So are you saying that the only way to get vehicles into UT3 is through scripting?

Ive been trying to do a little bit of scripting and replaced the scorpion with my car but I keep getting weird errors when I compile that seem based on the default properties, I get three errors with roughly the same type of error, i.e. component is already used is there something I am missing? -->

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\PoliceCar\Classes\UTVehicleFacto ry_sPoliceCar.uc(9) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: The component name CollisionCylinder is already used (if you want to override the component, don't specify a class): Begin Object Class=CylinderComponent Name=CollisionCylinder ObjName=CollisionCylinder Archetype=CylinderComponent'UTGame.Default__UTVehi cleFactory:CollisionCylinder'
    Importing Defaults for UTVehicle_sPoliceCar
    Last edited by rprochsk; 06-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Why not use a vehicle factory? They're not limited by gametype in UT3 afaik.

Ok wow, I figured out my problem, the script I had had was exported directly from UT3 and apparently there are some inborn problems with that, so I downloaded new script from online for all of the Unreal actors. That fixed all of my compilation problems.

But a new problem has arisen --> is there any reason why my vehicle factory can be placed in the map and look correct but when I run the game and the factory tries to output a vehicle, it crashes?

I am overwriting the scorpion with my vehicle and only replacing the scorpion script with the names of mine and not deleting anything at all, ie -->

{
    Begin Object Name=SVehicleMesh
    SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'VH_sPoliceCar.Mesh.SK_VH _sPoliceCar_001'
    AnimTreeTemplate=AnimTree'VH_sPoliceCar.Anims.AT_V H_sPoliceCar_001'
    PhysicsAsset=PhysicsAsset'VH_sPoliceCar.Mesh.SK_VH _sPoliceCar_Physics'
    MorphSets[0]=MorphTargetSet'VH_sPoliceCar.Mesh.VH_sPoliceCar_M orphTargets'
    AnimSets.Add(AnimSet'VH_sPoliceCar.Anims.K_VH_sPol iceCar')
    RBCollideWithChannels=(Default=TRUE,GameplayPhysic s=TRUE,EffectPhysics=TRUE,Vehicle=TRUE,Untitled4=T RUE)
    End Object

}

There's a space in 'M orphTargets'
    Uscript hates spaces.

Hey, I am not sure why that space was there, especially because it was never in my script. i.e. cant solve the problem, I just tried something though, and I found that the problem lies in the factory for my vehicle. the line that I believe to be problematic is:

VehicleClassPath="UTGameContent.UTVehicle_sPoliceC ar_Content"
    DrawScale=1.2
    }
    This causes a crash that lets me start the game but 1 sec into it I see bright lights and it crashes UT3 Ed
    I think that I am misreferencing the content package of my vehicle but I am not sure what needs to be done. Thanks for your help so far Twrecks.

I also tried
    VehicleClassPath="sPoliceCar.UTVehicle_sPoliceCar_ Content"
    DrawScale=1.2
    }
    Hoping that it would work because thats the name of the folder above classes but it crashes saying its a kernel error before I even get in the game.

I have 1.2 edition script source that should work right?
    Last edited by rprochsk; 07-12-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast