Iterator dereference through another iterator.

Hello all!

Say I have a class with a vector and iterator in it.

Code:
    class X
    {
        public:
           vector<double> x_vec;
           vector<double>::iterator x_vec_it;
    }
    The constructor sets up some values in the vector and sets the iterator to point at the beginning of the vector.

Later I want to do this

Code:
    ... somewhere else

vector< X > AllXes;

...inserts some new objects into vector AllXes

for(vector< X >::iterator AllXesIt = AllXes.begin(); AllXes )
    {
        //cout << ... the value that the iterator in the object that AllXesIt would be pointing to
       cout << AllXesIt->x_vec_it; //This is obviously not correct. I want to dereference x_vec_it
    }
    Dereferencing the first iterator, I can go

Code:
        (*AllXesIt).SomeMemberFunction();
    But not

Code:
       (*(*AllXesIt).x_vec_it); // or similar
    What is the syntax for doing this? I want to dereference the iterator that is a member of the class through an iterator to an object instance.

Of course I am having a brain melt-down! The obvious solution is make a member function which returns the value in question... But still on a technical side is that kind of dereferencing possible?

You really dont want to be storing iterators like that. Unless you know for sure that Vector isnt going to change its state.

Either way, just do the "right" thing and dont store iterators like that
    Last edited by wforl; 12-08-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    [quote][\quote]

Yeah, I guess I know but I was a bit stressed and wanted to have an iterator for each vector auto-made for me. Its for a really special case... it also involves recursions..
    Anyway, I found out the root cause of my problem. I pointed the iterator to the beginning of the vector inside the constructor. As the object doesn't really exist until after the constructor finishes (I assume...) it can't really know where the vector is going to end up so I just got garbled results when I dereferenced it. Thus, I did manage to do what I tried to do, it just wasn't what I wanted. After setting the iterator to the start of the vector from a another function call after the object was instantiated, everything worked as I expected. Live and learn...