Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I mean yeah, I want to know the principles and concepts of a basic beat em side scroller. Im already learning a little through the learning xna 3.0 book and the book doesn't exactly specialize in 2.5d sidescrollers. I have a basic thing saying that its y value can't decrease from 400 so it looks like it can only move within the bottom part of the whole screen. I'm pretty sure the video tutorials have something different since mine doesn't take into account collisions in 2.5d. So is it worth it?? I don't really have an income so 35 is a lot.
    ,___,
    [o.O] - Moo, I'm a cat.
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    [¬.¬] - Dude, you're an owl.
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    [O.O] - My mother has lied to me!
    /)__)
    -"--"-

Quote Originally Posted by antiroxas View Post
    So is it worth it??
    Short version; yes.

Slightly longer version; yes, it is!
    Last edited by fatgav; 12-14-2010 at 02:51 PM.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Good point, the final product was never shown.
    Here's what you'll finish with at the end of the tutorial series. Please note this build has the Keyboard controls going, not the 360 controller. I believe the controls page has the 360 controller, and it still says "Press Start" in a few places hehe.

Download the game here!
    No installation required. Unzip and run the file... I can't remember it's name... Game.exe? or SideScroller.exe?

Controls
    Space bar - Start / skip through cutscene
    Arrows to move
    A - Attack / Jump attack / Pick up knife
    Left Shift - Jump
    Left Ctrl - Throw Knife

I hope it's what your looking for! Any questions, reply or shoot me a PM.

Thanks Jacquesy, this should help him out and any others who would like to see the end product. I am going to take a peak at it myself since I haven't gone through this series yet either.

-Dane

ah, very cool. thanks, exactly what i was looking for. this should convince me whether i want the membership and i'm still waiting to see if they bill the fee to the credit card or gift card value from my amazon account.
    edit: aw man, i can't run it. it should be running with visual studio right?? and also, how did you hide the code?? i kind of want to learn how to do that when i finish my game.
    Last edited by antiroxas; 12-14-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    ,___,
    [o.O] - Moo, I'm a cat.
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    /)__)
    -"--"-

Quote Originally Posted by antiroxas View Post
    edit: aw man, i can't run it. it should be running with visual studio right?? and also, how did you hide the code?? i kind of want to learn how to do that when i finish my game.
    That's a compiled game you've got there... just double click the .exe No need for VS to be running (although you will need the correct version of .net).

I found

Right, when you hit the Shift+F6 command or click Build Solution, that will automatically make any correct/error-free code into a standalone EXE file, unless you absolutely have to debug the code, then you should do so through Visual Studio, otherwise, just click on the Application with the name you gave it, then you should run it right there and then.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

Lol, I tried it out, pretty simple, but awesome, though there's some glitch that sometimes pressing continue makes you invisible. Is the collision used per pixel?
    ,___,
    [o.O] - Moo, I'm a cat.
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    /)__)
    -"--"-
    ,___,
    /)__)
    -"--"-

I just tried running the game. When I double click on SideScrollingBeatEmUp.exe Windows7 brings up an error dialog that says "SideScrollingBeatEmUp has stopped working"
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Quote Originally Posted by mmakrzem View Post
    I just tried running the game. When I double click on SideScrollingBeatEmUp.exe Windows7 brings up an error dialog that says "SideScrollingBeatEmUp has stopped working"
    I imagine the exe is 64bit & you're running 32bit, or vice versa...

Alternatively, did you try running it in XP compatibility mode?

I found

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12