Matering Unrteal Tech Volume 2, Chapter 3 Tutorial problem

I am wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I am having with the tutorials late in Chapter 3, Working with Volumes. I know Unreal 4 is out, I'm just trying to work my way through all kinds of material.

Tutorials 3.7 and 3.8 have the user turn off a material reference on a force field through a matinee sequence with a "button press." However now that I have this set up the material reference only appears for a brief second at the start of the matinee when I step on the button. Looking ahead at the later tutorial map files the material reference is visible again at the level start. I can't for the life of me see what is different between 3.8 and 3.9 that the material reference is visible in one and not the other.

Has anyone done this and does anyone know what the problem is?

I know this is a long shot, but I thought I would try.

Thanks

I have the books, but don't have udk installed anymore. In tut 3.7/3.8 it looks like it's set up to last one second. Is that a "brief second"?
    Step 8 of tut 3.9 is "adjust the duration timing" so maybe they adjsuted the timing so it lasts longer than a second.