Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer randomly crashes

Anyone have ideas what may cause my computer to randomly crash programs and restart itself? I am running XP Pro

Well.. there's only 2 things.. perhaps 3. I've seen them happen several times:

1. You could have some bad RAM.

2. Is the inside of your computer extremely dusty? Check for dust buildup on/around the heatsink of your processor, along check for dust building up on your RAM sticks or on the inside of the slots. This causes your computer to run at high tempertures and causes it to reboot and or shutdown automatically.

3. You could have a bad HD.

I'd have to say almost 95% of the time, it's one of these three things. Heck.. #2 happened to my old comp about 6 months ago. I hardly use it.. so it builds up! LOL. I cleaned it.. and boom.. it works.

Computer Crash

Random computer restarts could be caused by several problems.

Have you recently changed or added any hardware in your computer?

I recently added a Hard drive that caused intermittent restarts and Blue screen of death. The problem in my case was my Computer Power supply was being overloaded. I had to many hardware devices for my Power supply to handle.
    I installed a larger power supply and solved the problem.

If the CPU heats up to much (due to poor heatsinking or overclocking for example), the results may also be a restart.

Make sure your CPU fan is still running.
    If that dies, your CPU will overheat.

Hope this helps!

Joe

What programs are you running? Maybe you have a bad driver for some hardware. Or simply you might just need more RAM.

right click on my computer, go to propertise, go to advanced, go to startup and recover, look for a section that says system failure, and uncheck all three boxes.

Next time your system has a failure, it should give you a blue screen with an error message.

What type of processor and fan do you have, I use to get that problem do to over heating my processor and vid card.

clap on ... clap off , your computer!! thing to check first is the ram.. easy ways to do that are all over the web , get a test that will check your ram from download.com or something and git' yer test on! now if it passes it's either your motherboard or software ( more lilely the latter ) start up in safe mode and run for a couple hours and see how the system runs, take note of what services are runnning and what applications are in memory , then boot into normal mode and try to find out what programs are running in there that might be from a company with loose quality control standards . close em down one by one and check the effect.. take notes , don't be afraid to swear or punch the keyboard.. that's half the fun.. although from personal experience smoking a fatty helps in those times too..

What kind of Motherboard do you have?

Some of the motherboard manufacturs have put in an automatic shut down if the processor gets to hot. It could be that also.

Don't forget to check your error logs. Go to computer management (in the control panel) and view the "event viewer" "system". Windows should log everything.

for starters, this is a Microsoft product so this is normal.

in all seriousness, this is usually caused be bad memory but depends on the error. I agree, check the error logs for some more information but you can eliminate a RAM issue as the culprit by switching the memory around on the motherbard.

auto reboot

first goto your system properties.

2nd click on the advanced tab

3rd under startup and recovery click settings

4th under system failure uncheck automatically reboot

5th click ok and get out of system properties

6th Reboot
    msn IM 6 contact info raven36_42@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast