Intersect And Trim in Maya problem

Hi every

I am reading chap 5 of Maya 4 Fundamental. I have the wall intersect with the roof but I just couldn't trim it.

I have trying practising trimming with different simple primitive objects, sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

Could some one help me, I've been spending hours on it.

THANK YOU
    Alex
    Attached is a scene file build in Maya 4.5
    Attached Files Attached Files

basic rule for triming is that the surface you're triming has a curve projected on it.

As a general tip : when using Maya if you don't know what a tool does or how it works just look down in the HelpLine to see instructions.

Thanks for reply

I do have 2 curves projected on the surface which determine the section to be trimmed. But it doesn't work somehow.

I've tried triming a cylinder in half using a plane, and it works... but I don't understand why the above isn't..

I have already read the help files ... I usually ask when i'm really really stuck only.

try this : attach the 2 curves (with minimum blending so it do not creates a tangent in the intersection point) and then project them. I also think that you should project a curve that desribes the contur of what you want to obtain (a close curve or a close poligonal line). hope it works.

Originally posted by Bonciu Toma
    try this : attach the 2 curves (with minimum blending so it do not creates a tangent in the intersection point) and then project them. I also think that you should project a curve that desribes the contur of what you want to obtain (a close curve or a close poligonal line). hope it works.
    I'm having the exact same problem

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the above answer

I keep getting the following error in Maya:

Error: intersectSurface22 (Intersect Surface Node): failed to compute the result.

stupid book!

edit:
    well....time for shame (again).

I actually watched an included video for the 1st time and it seems I was selecting the wrong thing (the wall instead of the floor).

soooo.....my bad
    Last edited by Fillem; 04-15-2004 at 04:26 AM.
    "Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."
    -Homer Simpson-

i know this thread is old..i just had the same problem..and i built that roof stuff from scratch and it finally worked...it wasnt working for me either..i was getting three triangles and a couple of holes with that trimming..really mysterious
    "We are what & where we are because we have first imagined it."
    Donald Curtis