Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C# or C++

C# or C++

hello everyone
    well, right now im trying to decide wether to learn c++ or c# in the dot net environment. I've been reading a bit about .net, and now im just trying to decide, in the long run, wether it would be better to learn c++ or c#. sorry if this is kind of a naieve question, but im trying to decide what would be best for me to learn.

thanks for any input

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do hardcore DirectX and OpenGL programming it is better to learn C++. It's virtually impossible to do those things without pointers. In C# you won't be able to link certain things like the .hdr files for the Max or Maya SDKs either.

If you plan to do more web-oriented, business oriented, transaction oriented programming it would be foolish to waste time coding low level stuff in C++. This is where C# excels everything else on the market.

learn both then see what u like

they have ported the graphics rendering engine ogre to c#

alright, thanks guys. i take it that .NET is slightly more geared towards enterprise systems and web development? im happy with php for this, however i want to learn how to develop games in c++, and am planning on learning openGL and dx.

thanks, wraith

after you learn one you should catch onto the other one rather quickly, like ostao said

If you learn C++ first, then when u read c#, it just so easy..
    If you learn C# first, you might still struggling when comes to C++.

But in the end, learning one will helps the other, they both have the same concept. If you want gaming, go for c++, if you want develop window application, go for c# first

Originally posted by ostamo2
    lthey have ported the graphics rendering engine ogre to c#
    Hummm... This is very interesting. I'm going to have a good look at this. Do you have a hyperlink?

Definatly learn both i would say they both have there place. C++ for games then to do Application development I would suggest C#.NET and then learning that for Web Application development. ASP.NET is very powerful and very nice much much better than php but it also does not hurt to learn PHP to.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

alright thanks for the input, i will plan on learning c++ then perhaps learning what i can about c#.

why is it that asp.net is so much better than php?, im just interested to know the reasoning behind this, i have never used asp so i dont know what its like, if anyone could give me a short explanation that would be nice

http://www.bunnz.com/

theres a 3d game engine that uses C# as the programming language (not C++)

maybe they will start to come about sooner or later

so know both languages would be pretty useful i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast