Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    I have been a member of 3dbuzz for a long time now and have always enjoyed all content on the site but as i am not a sponsor coud only view so much of the VTM's
    I am just about to embark on my first C# course to become a M$ certified application developer and these series have given me alot of insight into c++

Big thanks for producing the set and i am definatly purchasing the full set of VTM's from the store in the very near future.

Thanks

Done the first 3, and this was the only thing I actually understood! I hate reading, lol ^^
    But sadly enough I cant get the member sponsor, no way to pay via internet

So well, thank you very much for the free onces.

One question,
    If you would be a ms, do you download the videous? And after downloaded them, can you keep them after you lost your ms?

thanks again,
    johan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanker
    Done the first 3, and this was the only thing I actually understood! I hate reading, lol ^^
    But sadly enough I cant get the member sponsor, no way to pay via internet

So well, thank you very much for the free onces.

One question,
    If you would be a ms, do you download the videous? And after downloaded them, can you keep them after you lost your ms?

thanks again,
    johan.
    Yes You Can keep the Vids...

(Nice Name By The Way )

Alex
    [Pulling out his pump-action shotgun.] Hicks: I like to keep this handy for close encounters.
    Frost: I hear that!
    -Aliens

Blain: Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff will make you a god damnned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me!
    -Predator

I just picked up the freebies, and I've learned more in an hour with the VTM's than I learned in my countless hours of reading books. Holy cow, something about these videos is magical...I swear. OK, now that I've given my fanboy impression, these really are good material for learning C++.

Download them, then do the Member Sponsor thing and get the rest.

recently started learning c++ and got the vtms

woooooh man they are great i learn so fast from them. Really fast Everything is in detail and is clearly explained.

Unhappy

These VTMs are truly great!

I'm currently at the third VTM (or should I rather say stuck at it? ) and can't really get to the bottom of the issue.
    Everything worked well until I was close to finalising the level class.
    I've created the level class and I'm supposed to have a little character that I can move around. Instead of that, Devc++ shows an acces violation (segmentation fault) error notification if I debug the app:
    PHP Code:
          if (player)
         {
             if (
    player->keyPress(c)) // <-this is where it segfaults

{ return true;
                 }
                  }
          else
          {        
         return 
    false;
         } 
    It seems that I was able to get rid of it by simply changing 'virtual bool keyPress(char c);' into 'bool keyPress(char c);' in character.h , but it still doesn't work.
    Without declaring this function as being virtual, it doesn't segfault anymore, it enters the Character::keyPress functions, as I have debugged it and it still doesn't work.
    I tried using Code::Blocks together with MSVC 2003 toolkit with all of the required libraries and headers, it was the same, it couldn't do anything, it just exited and did nothing.
    Last edited by razvancs; 06-24-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Are you sure you have the exact same code that they write in the VTMs?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

Quote Originally Posted by razvancs
    These VTMs are truly great!

I'm currently at the third VTM (or should I rather say stuck at it? ) and can't really get to the bottom of the issue.
    Everything worked well until I was close to finalising the level class.
    I've created the level class and I'm supposed to have a little character that I can move around. Instead of that, Devc++ shows an acces violation (segmentation fault) error notification if I debug the app:
    PHP Code:
          if (player)
         {
             if (
    player->keyPress(c)) // <-this is where it segfaults

{ return true;
                 }
                  }
          else
          {        
         return 
    false;
         } 
    It seems that I was able to get rid of it by simply changing 'virtual bool keyPress(char c);' into 'bool keyPress(char c);' in character.h , but it still doesn't work.
    Without declaring this function as being virtual, it doesn't segfault anymore, it enters the Character::keyPress functions, as I have debugged it and it still doesn't work.
    I tried using Code::Blocks together with MSVC 2003 toolkit with all of the required libraries and headers, it was the same, it couldn't do anything, it just exited and did nothing.
    The function keyPress should be virtual in the character header file not in the level header file. So leave the keyPress function in the level header file as:
    Code:
    bool keyPress(char c);
    and change the keyPress function in the character header file to:
    Code:
    virtual bool keyPress(char c);
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies....it was just a minor problem.
    After all, that wasn't related to the fact that it was virtual or not, it behaved differently because of a small mistake.

I have finished the entire game and now I want to add a few things such as a menu, limit the number of fireballs that can be casted.I already solved a minor bug that somehow managed to slip into my version of the game, the one that allowed fireballs to hit the wall and erase the wall sprite(you cannot cast a fireball anymore if you're near a wall).
    By the way, the method that was used to limit the game speed isn't that good as it eats up the entire CPU, 50% by the game and the rest by the system process. Just use Sleep and you'll be glad you did.

I also want to port this to Linux, because the Windows API is involved here, I'll have to do the same thing with the equivalent API on Linux.

That will be a good exercise
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast